About Us

My photo
At The Happy Starfish we are dedicated to providing a wealth of information, products, workshops and articles all aimed at celebrating health, happiness and peaceful living. We believe that life should be an awesome adventure filled with love; love life and life will love you back. Are you willing to surrender what you think you are for what you could become? Are you ready?

Saturday 20 October 2012

Doctors treating the physical through the emotional?


The NHS really surprised me yesterday. It couldn't have surprised me more if it had leapt out of a cupboard shouting boo.

I have been in and out of hospital the past few years having treatment on my back and pelvis. As part of my treatment carries a future cancer risk my consultant has decided to give my body a break from invasive treatments for a period and referred me for a meeting with a different team.

I attended yesterday not sure what to expect. It started off with them running through different pain killers available, all of which I have tried, none of which I continued to take as, for me, the negatives of constantly being medicated outweigh the positives. A mechanical restoration class with other patients in a rehabilitation stage was mentioned although, after examination,  it was agreed my body would not cope with such movement at this stage.

Then (and this is the good bit) I was asked if I was aware of the mind/body connection and how I felt about this. Although I work in this field I am the first to hold my hands up and say I do have fear about pushing myself past my perceived physical limitations and setting my recovery back. It has always been two steps forward and one step back and I am mindful of my structural abnormalities.
I am not sure how wide spread this is in hospitals but I was told they run education programmes on meditation, relaxation and for patients such as myself teach visualisation techniques where you keep picturing yourself doing things you used to which, in turn, over a period of time, the mind begins to believe the body is capable of more.

I never turn down a chance to try someone else's teachings and methods and never assume I know all there is to know so I am due to begin this programme next month.

I find it so exciting that doctors are acknowledging there is more to physical health than, well, the physical and that there are other, powerful, options to medication.

I wanted to share this as I had not heard of this happening before and would love to hear from anyone who is aware of orthodox practitioners taking a more holistic approach.

Spreading the love,

Louise xx

1 comment:

  1. Louise Jensen @ Fri, 02 Nov 2012 20:37:17 +0000:

    Thanks Karen, My hospital is in Birmingham where they are really caring and supportive. Having dealt with different hospitals I realise how lucky I am to have found them. I hope you reach your goal, it sounds like you have a lot to offer. Always interested in learning about something new. You can mail me directly on thehappystarfish@gmail.com Louise xx

    Karen @ Fri, 02 Nov 2012 12:15:33 +0000:

    Hi Louise This sounds very exciting, I am a registered nurse working in Plymouth , Devon now for NHSProfessionals these last 3 yrs. I have been learning more holistic approaches to healing over the last 8 yrs but have not taken any out into starting my own business. I have not heard of this at the hospital where I work and I have moved around different departments for the last 3 yrs. The only area offering an alternative approach is The Mustard Tree Macmillan Centre created for people with cancer, their families and carers. I know my next step is to start my own business, I can offer reflexology, healing and creative kinesiology. I know from my soulmate, friend and lover in USA that these are just tools for who we really are. I am continually working on me and hopefully one day soon I will be in this other space of having my own business. After 35yrs in nursing and the authorities of hospitals in the way they operate especially in the last couple of months is creating the necessary shift for me to really take this to the next level. Thank you for your sharing , I do understand how difficult your journey has been for you, especially when you are in constant pain. It really gets you to know whats priority for you. My soulmate started a new business in May after my visit with him and this may be something that can help you, he is highly sensitive , and can affirm the results. He has the Avalon light therapy. If you would like to know anymore about it I can send you a link. Good luck on your continued journey love Karen

    ReplyDelete